about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Playing tourist....



Victoria Moran's advocates that we should all practice "the vacation principle" in our home towns. See the place where we live through the eye's of a tourist so to speak, and it'll remind us of some of the great things we take for granted...things that tourists would oooh and aaah about because they see your town through a fresh pair of eyes. I love that pearl of wisdom - i think there's so much to be said for that! We don't always get to do it though, but then again, it's like anything, we have to make or find the time and create those opportunities.....

SO yesterday, playing TOURIST at work was a bit like playing TRUANT from school:-) I had to attend a presentation down in Durban, so decided to allow for extra travel time (and roadworks:-/). As luck would have it, I cruised into Durban without a hitch, which meant i had so much time on my hands. It was a stunning day yesterday, so I figured the best place to be on a clear sunny day must be the beach! As I drove in to Durban, I thought ...WOW...the Durban guys are really working this world cup vibe!! I saw one guy in his truck, with flags on either side, so large, I fully expected his vehicle to get airborne once he reached a speed of 120! So cool! Sadly - I wasn't quick enough with my camera:-(....and I was driving at the time, come to think of it.

I spent the next half an hour taking it all in and capturing a few of the sights on my cellphone camera, so excuse the quality! Is it me, or has Durban Beach got MIAMI written all over it!!! SIGH...I felt like I was back there......so stunning!! Everything is so pristine.....the water was the most beautiful deep azure blue colour yesterday, the sand was golden, and I just LOVE all the new grassed areas that have been fenced off with little board walks onto the beach....I so needed more time to see the rest of it!! I felt like SUCH a tourist, and hey, I got to have some awesome conversations with complete strangers - BONUS. So i figured...it might not be Cape Town, but DAMN I felt proud of our city yesterday, I really did!!
Next week, to celebrate the holidays, I'll be back with kiddies and GF's I hope, to actually put our feet in the sand, enjoy the waves, and soak up the sun.....

2 comments:

  1. wow wow wow wow - cant wait to see the photos of you all chilling on the beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking really lovely, glad the spirit is building, my mom has mentioned how festive it all is....such fun!
    xxx
    A

    ReplyDelete