about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

BALLET BLUES

Friend: “Jane says she wants to give up too….(long pause)…sigh….”
Me (aghast!): ”No!....(hushed tones)….you’re kidding…that’s terrible…you must be DEVASTATED!” commiserating looks pass between us.
Friend: “…..I cried buckets, but of course I didn’t let her see…”
Me: “I can imagine….I’m absolutely gutted myself and felt very blue yesterday…shed a good few tears myself”…..we both look down…lost in our despair……

(Names have been changed to protect the innocent!)

So if you’re wondering if this conversation took place in the ICU unit of our nearest hospital, you’re wrong…no one HAD DIED…but they may aswell have!! This hushed conversation took place in the waiting room of the ballet studio during Sabrina’s last ballet exam…for us mothers who are guilty of living our lives through our children, yep…someone may as well have died!! When your daughter decides that your passion for ballet, just isn’t working for her anymore..... you feel a sense of loss! I have to admit that I am guilty as charged of that awful crime that we all vow never to commit – the crime of living a part of our lives/dreams through our children…and don’t even go down that road of “I would never!”…..’fess up and be counted!...we’ve all done it or will, at some stage of their lives. Whether it’s sports, academics, music, popularity, fashion, weight, whatever, you name the drug of your choice….like lambs to the slaughter I say….it’s inevitable………. For me…it was the first time I was told that my daughter had a brilliant “point” (toes, not fingers girlfriends!)….in that moment, I knew she would be the world’s next prima ballerina…(you’re thinking eish!!)…maybe not that bad, but bad enough to commit her for the next 7 years of her almost 10 years in existence! But at the end of the day, she has come away with some serious life skills…she’s learnt commitment and the reward that comes with that. She’s learnt that you can be really good at something but that doesn’t mean it’s your “passion” and your calling in life, she’s learnt perserverance and to apply herself, even when at times, she hasn’t wanted to….. and wow, those are some of the best lessons to learn in life…. Our little ballerina – no more…sniff ...taken the last time I watched her dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment