about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tree hugging go green bunnies


Those of you who have more than one bin in your home, will understand my excitement at discovering my latest find…… ECO FRIENDLY STATIONARY!! Besides their great Perspex (bulldog clips) and natural wood (pencil crayons) appearance - COOL! – they are gentler on the earth! (doing a jig!) So by now, you’ll have gathered that yes I do have an organic bin in my home, and love surfing the net reading “Go Green” blogs and websites. Having said that, please understand, I would in no way consider myself to be a fanatic, or an earth mother…(I wish) - I would love to boast that I am entirely off the grid, but right now, I would consider myself a fledgling….

I try and I am aware, which is a step forward, despite my friend Kim’s confusion as to why I hyperventilate at the thought of throwing away perfectly good veggie peels!! …which let’s face it, in South Africa, probably weren’t really that good to start with, considering all our 1st grade fruit and veg gets enjoyed by those who ALSO have the pleasure of a crime free SOCIETY!!!!...but hey…that’s for another day..) ..the good thing about living in our "3rd world country", is that half of us will never have cars to start with, …and electricity….hell…even those of us who have it can’t use it as often as we’d like to(although load shedding seems to be a thing of the past!), so….I reckon the whole of the African continent pretty much treads lightly on the earth already!....come on 1st worlds…get cracking!

So watching “An Inconvenient Truth”, with Al Gore was a wake up call of note for me. I vowed then and there that my children would as soon as possible, be exposed to some of those truths, that would hopefully create an awareness that would stay with them for life, and turn them into responsible “go green” citizens. So hence, I prepared for the “Global warming talk”……who cares that we skipped THE birds and the bees talk and went straight to THE ENVIRONMENT..(giggle)… I figured what’s the point if there’s no earth left to enjoy your “free love” in….. so after the talk, which wasn’t entirely new to them, we watched snippets from the movie. It BLEW their little minds, and opened up the conversation a lot more…but kids…you gotta love them. The next morning I found them eating breakfast in the dark…and on the way to school…my son suggested we start walking instead of driving (vomit)…. I think they got the point! (lol)
Here’s a sweet “green” site I found along my travels…..
http://www.enviromom.com/

Took a pic of my “green” stationary…with wooden crayons and perspex bulldogs with ribbon………

No comments:

Post a Comment