about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A happy place..

I'd have to say that today was a hard one. Going back to Mom's house to pack up her things, whilst her death still seems so ........ SURREAL, was just...well....very necessary, but definitely a lump in the throat kind of day. Surrounded by her incredible collection of books and art supplies, touching her earrings and jewellery, smelling her perfumes, and finding letters, still unsent was ...gulp...very, very hard. I will never forget how, after each and every visit to their "Aya", our children would always return home, without fail, smelling of her perfume, from all the hugging and holding and loving that took place throughout their visit. This evening Sabrina commented on how she could smell her Aya's perfume on the chair she has inherited for her room, which previously had it's place next to Mom's phone......another lump in the throat.

But despite how hard it was, today was also another opportunity to spend more time together as a family, which over the last week, has brought us such comfort, and served as a reminder of how much we enjoy each other's company, sharing, laughing, talking and bonding. Spending 3 nights at our sisters house last week, was like shelter from the rain. This is our children's Disney World, their happy, happy, happy place, which at a time like this, is just exactly where we want them to be.
And speaking of happy places, and our children, one of the happy places in our home, is a space they helped to create, which is often a topic of conversation to those who are visiting for the first time.....I love this space...it's precious to me, this wall.
So I suppose it's no surprise that, after a day like today, I found myself there, adding new additions, and marvelling at the works of art. When the day has been too long, and the heart feels weary, this space always makes me smile, and lifts my spirits .........it really does.

And amidst all this, still maintaining that a charmed life is what I aspire to, so have to share the next principle, as it's been a while....

CHARMED LIFE principle no. 14 - Retire your Too-Too: When you cease limiting your possibilities, you can live so that every day brings gifts as welcome as a check in the mail. If you have a too-too, give it up - statements like "I'm too heavy", "I'm too inexperienced". The only purpose of a too-too is to inflict pain on the possessor.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I can understand why you get happy in that room - it is stunning and what a great idea! The art is beautiful.

    I have had to help my sister in law pack a few things up from her late mom who passed on in July and I can understand how you are feeling. All I can say is that it does pass by you knowing that she spent a happy time here on earth and she is now in a better place (and in our case without any pain)

    Keep strong and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah B, that picture made me smile and sob at the same time and in equal measures...reminds me of your home and all the lovely visits we shared, I can see your cups in my head and hear lizzy working around in the kitchen while your chickens wonder around the garden....sniff....I miss you gf, especially at such a hard time for you - wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Berydene 0 just catching u with you ...

    I reckon that there are good days and not-so-good days after the loss of a close loved one and saying it gets easier as time passes is trite, BUT you and your family are so lucky to have such wonderful memories of your MIL and I think these are what will make it easier to get through the not-so-good days ...

    Thinking of you ...

    Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete