about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

HAVING A MOMENT..

This is a really quick post, inspired by this very moment as I sit here working, to the sounds of yet again, more chainsaws cutting down trees. I feel overwhelmed, sad and tearful....sniff...and must confess that yes, I am UNDISPUTEDLY A TREE HUGGER!! How can ANYONE live in this beautiful village (now town) we are blessed to call home, and NOT marvel and feel protective over these regal, peaceful giants of the earth. To live here is to know some of the true, natural, rugged beauty so typical to Africa, and enjoy being surrounded by trees so magnificent, they can (if you're a tree hugger) take your breath away, and make you go...ok...wow. Trees that our children swing and climb in, and house hundreds and hundreds of migrating birds at a time, which is amazing to watch and listen to.... The same trees that we picnic under, and that proudly stand to attention as we drive through the main street, and make our way home.....to more trees and natural beauty...

The damage of last week's storm, has left our little village broken in ways that are visible everywhere, but mainly evident through the broken trees trunks and branches lying piled high on verges and along the sides of roads. Teams upon teams of men have been seen working side by side, to fix wires and rooves, and cut down even more branches that could still pose a problem. Trace and I have both had days where you sit and listen to the drilling sound, that you know represents another casualty, to the point where today I feel desperate, for my leafy friends. No surprise that my favourite part of 'Lord of the Rings' was where the trees come alive, rise up and take a stand against the evil forces that threatened to kill and destroy.

But nature has her way of doing things, and she always knows best...i guess. So maybe now is a good time to put on my ear phones, and focus on my wonderful tree lined view ahead (photo above is my view from "the office"), filled with butterflies and bees, and birds in the trees....

5 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, i've got 2 teams in the road adjascent to me busy with chainsaws this morning & tomoro it will be a whole week already since the tornado. What you say is true B about piles of trees on the side of the roads. Here in our Estate, we got a letter to ask residents to please pile up all their roof tiles on their verges so that trucks could come and take them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad indeed - my heart certainly aches for those affected by that freak storm - we missed the carnage by about 5 mins - had just left Hillcrest on our way to Jhb before the worst ...

    And I hear your painful pleas for those trees ... as much as I scrap, I still loooove trees ... and my fave part of The Lord of the Rings was also the trees rising up and saving the day - I have been threatening to carve little faces into the trees around me but I'm scared of hurting the poor things ... tee hee ...

    Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the freak storms you had down there. Its one thing us humans have no power over and that is the force of nature. That view you have from your offices, is awe inspiring and surely keeps your spirits on a permanent high. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that storm was terrible and the devastation it left behind was horrific.

    I just loooove the view you have - on a bad day you only need to look out your window and you can get "happy thoughts"!.

    ReplyDelete