about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A happy day with the hens...

Today has been one of those days where I've really been reminded of how fortunate I am to be able to run a business, spend quality time with my children, and nurture the home....simultaneously!
They know EXACTLY what she's getting in there...it comes in a red cup, and it's filled with YUMMY things for Hen Ladies to eat....

The business is keeping me busy this week with my right hand woman on leave, but despite the interruptions, it has been a sublime day:-)
I was even able to spend quality time with my girls, who I absolutely ADORE! My laying hens are such friendly souls....unlike the silkies we have at the moment, who have a mind, will and therefore also a residential address all of their own. The male is short tempered, bossy, and unfriendly....hence why he's still only called..."THE MALE"....hmmm. Frankly, I don't know what he does all day:-/...but all I can say is I'm relieved that I don't have a male like him in my life. He's also lived the good life - 2 wives - up until a few weeks ago, when his Hen no 2. just lay down and died....can't say I blame her, sadly; - I probably would have done the same thing myself, because let's be honest, if she was feeling suicidal, which she must have been by then, what good was that going to do her?!? Oh and PS: He's not even good looking??.....yes I'm still talking rooster here...we've had some damn fine lookers in the past, I'll tell you!

So I'm wondering if subconsciously, maybe that's why I've kept him around.....to remind myself of how lucky I am that I have the man I do!So back to our peace loving, gentle, friendly girls.....not only are they good layers, but they are kind, tolerant and very gracious when it comes to all the little peeps that visit here, and ...sometimes they're even good for a laugh or two:-)Oh I forgot...of course it was a good day today...it was THURSDAY!!

The kids, Lizzie and I are off to see TOY STORY 3 in 3D this evening; Hubby is in JHB for the night:-(.....but then I do always have this little man to keep me happy:-)

2 comments:

  1. oh i love the chickens - they are so entertaining - i grew up with my mothers silkies and bantums and whatever else she had wandering around the gardens - we also kept fan tail doves - NOW THOSE ARE PEACEFULL TO WATCH - lovely photos - happy for you my friend - nature and soil and trees keep you centered and having it all at your fingertips to re charge your batteries and keep you balanced is a privilege - love you lots - hope the movie night out was great fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a lovely happy post gf, I can feel your joy and contentment in your wonderful home with your "brood" all around you :0)
    Miss ya now and forever xxx

    ReplyDelete