about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My beloved LAUNDRY + BASKET

Our Laundry and Kitchen recently had a makeover - it was totally UNPLANNED - so much so that I wanted to gouge my eye's out at the time, so that the pain would distract me from how distraught I was at the bad timing of it all....pathetic I know, but we all have our moments of weakness!  A leak under our kitchen sink had slowly been seeping into the bottom hidden carcass area, and finally 'burst it's banks' so to speak.  We DRY HEAVED for 3 days from the STENCH that eminated from ROTTING WATER that had been slumming it there for who knows HOW long??...eeeuw...eeeeuw....eeeeuUUUUWW...... We had to keep the laundry door shut for a week - I GAGGED every time I had to go in there to get to the broom, or open the fridge - that's a lot of gagging, TRUST ME!  We removed our entire kitchen sink unit/cupboards etc. and had fans blowing on it 24/7 - that was just the start of it!  I SHUDDER to think what it must be like, living in the aftermath of a TSUNAMI....!!!
We went without a sink/wash up area for a month....I feel stupid even mentioning that!  The upside is that we learnt to make do, and learnt to soooo APPRECIATE the simple things in life.....like having a sink to wash up in!  Perspective is a wonderful thing!!  But WAIT...this post get's WORSE!!...not only am I sharing my dull moments of domesticity, but what I ACTUALLY wanted to blog about was my adorable linen basket on the counter, (I know...I'm EMBARRASSED *BLUSH*), which I selvedged from our local SPCA for 30 ROND!!!..true story:-).....I resprayed her a light grey, and brought her back to life - she is now so classy, you would never know that she was once brown and thrown out by her previous owners!  So if you love thrifting, SPCA KLOOF is just a wonderful place to find old treasures to reclaim, or UPCYCLE.

Definitely becoming one of our favourite weekly stops!!

No comments:

Post a Comment