about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Colouring outside the lines....

sigh...I know.... this blog has got "monthly" written all over it, right now:-)...and while I've missed penning my thoughts, and am tempted to wander down the path of regret, I find myself stopping at 'it's just where I'm at right now'...:-)) and leaning towards 'everything in life happens in seasons'...

Speaking of which, my kiddies and I have just come back from 5 amazing days at the beach.  We "bunked" winter for 5 wonderful days...turned our back on her so to speak, without so much as a backward glance, and felt NO SHAME:-). 
We basked in the sun and the salt of the sea, and just for a while, we relished in the fact that we could swop one pot stews and soups, for simple summer salads and pastas....even if only for a while. 
We made the most of golden beach sand between our toes, heck - we even went as far as painting them a pale pink shade of summer....aahhh it felt good, it felt familiar...it just felt right.  My girlfriends and I sipped cocktails on the lawn to make sure we weren't dreaming, and watched our laughing children row boats, and surf the dunes, till the sun sank low....all the while counting our blessings for this time together, and the fact that we could colour outside the lines in this magical place.
Some hubbies joined us for the weekend, but for the most part, it was just us...and it felt goood....  

These two tween girls, who have been friends since way back when, when they only had eyes for Barney, got to hang together again and share their hopes and dreams.


These two, who have known each other their whole lives, were attached at the hip....
actually, ...most of these children have known each other their.whole.lives....
and it showed in the joy they shared, of being together again:-)

Our host and our precious friend, who is temporarily based in Canada with her family, will go back with a pocketful of memories, just like the rest of us.  We all feel so lucky and grateful that our tanks are full...it'll get us to the other side of "we miss spending time together!"....kind of like our girls who rowed each other across the lagoon i guess.....
our friendship is our life raft, our two man canoe for when the waters get rough...
But for now it's back to winter blankets, and the need to savour hot chocolate with squishy pink marshmallows in it. Back to school lunches and busy schedules that make up our full lives.
I stood in the kitchen making tea this afternoon, just counting my blessings, and asking God if he knew how much I appreciate my life, and the people he has placed in it? 
Every.single.one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment