about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Filling up my tank

One of my speakers has a rather profound message on his mobile. After leaving all the mundane "you know what to do" bits and pieces, he always says...."and remember...if you're not growing - you're DYING".....hmmmm....(okaaayyyy - thank heavens I'm not suicidal!!)...but bottom line is - it's TRUE! I've stopped asking myself why it is that I am ALWAYS asking questions about "LIFE", the "self" and how to "upgrade to a better version of oneself"..blah-blah-blah- seriously - do you blame me???? With that kind of input on a daily basis, 6 years down the line, if it hasn't rubbed off you must be emotionally stunted, or DEAD. Thankfully just when I thought all the little voices in my head had gone quiet (ie. braindead), I GREW a new shoot!

In the last few weeks, life has sent so many interesting people my way. It's certainly been the month of spring for my soul, in that I've been introduced to so many new ideas, thoughts and concepts, that I can't help but compare it to being in the "I love cupcake" store of life! And it's been most welcome after 4 months of being so focused on what I thought was the "important" stuff in life, like time management, LISTS - UGHHHH, organisation, "focus on the family", ACHIEVEING, the "I CAN RUN RUSSIA" syndrome, that my friend Linnie often talks about - sure you can BUT DO YOU WANT TO??? - . And all this time the universe is thinking....ok ...has this chick lost the plot OR WHAT!!!??? To put it plainly - I had REGRESSED somewhat - but never without the lessons.

Thank heavens for girlfriends, and loved ones who are "upstream" of us - the people who recognise the warning signs that are often so subtle, we can't see them for dust. Friends who can see that in your pursuit of balance, you have lost yourself in the process. I think it's called "TRYING TOO HARD". April was my month for filling the tank, and once again dabbling in things that feed the soul, and in turn May has been the month where I seem to be reaping the rewards of remembering to follow the joy and the bliss, and to do more of the letting, than the getting...

I'm more of a green pastures person than a mountain person, but our camping trip to Hlalanathi Caravan Park put the beauty of the Drakensberg mountains into a new light for me - I'm a slow learner I guess, but never before has it's beauty been so apparent to me as it was on this trip, where we were out in the elements, and in the midst of it all. Years ago I never would have believed myself to be a camper, but to be living in the outdoors, (sans that flat iron and hair dryer - EISH!), and to see our children RELISH being outdoors from early in the morning till late at night, just makes you want to keep coming back for more.... The sunsets were breathtaking....A river runs through it.....the river was every childs DREAM, and the VIEW from our campsite and the park itself was every adults..
Seriously spoilt with our own ablutions and kitchen with lapa area...luxury camping, but camping nontheless!

The girls doing...wait for it.......ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. how wonderfull - well done for pausing life to notice what was in front of you - nature at its best - how privaledged we are to be able to see it and walk and breathe it is - i am in a place of gratitude of NOTE. watched the movie SLUMDOG MILLIONAIR and it really affected me for the better - our children cannot forget all that they saw in the movie and it is a good thing - ok i admit we paused it for many many explanatory discussions and chats and floods of tears - but it was a healthy experience - we all walked away from it very humbled by all that we have - that so so many just dont !!!
    I have always adored the drakensburg and find it to be my CHURCH OUTDOORS. To have a river right there was the cherry on the top, the sounds alone are theraputic to my soul.
    glad you had a wonderfull time and got to share it with your loved ones......what i would give to have been there with you all.
    LINDA ANDREW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gf sounds like you had a lovely time and those photographs....sigh.....breathtaking. I am glad those voices have started up again, you simply wouldn't be the unique person that you are without them :-)

    xxx
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beryldene. Your Berg pics are gorgeous and I am so glad that you have discovered natural beauty of the Berg from scratch again. The Drakensberg is also our favourite relaxing spot here in South Africa and it never ceases to amaze us with its beauty and we always leave reluctantly leave the Berg, but with batteries and souls recharged to the brim. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl. Oh man, a few things really resonated with me in this post. It may just be that I am horribly sleep deprived but my view on life is seriously impaired right now!

    I loved looking at your peaceful, joyous pictures - almost like a virtual holiday of my own.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what beautiful photos - so tranquil - whenever I visit you I just feel like going on holiday - you really are an oasis in the frenzy of cyberspace! SO sorry to read on Michelle's blog about your problems with my blog. It is DO frustrating for me as I have had several e mails about it & tried to solve the problem. Basically perseverance will do it but I understand everyone's time constraints & I also give up if I can't gain instant access. Often your blog gives me a "page load error" message &, if it happens more than twice I just move on because I just don't have the time to keep going. Firefox is definitely the way to go. Explorer is old news now. Firefox is much stronger & more invasive & will fight it's way through any problems. Download it now - it's free & quick ;-D

    ReplyDelete