about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Monday, September 14, 2009

YOUR HIGHNESS - (not for sensitive viewers)

On a recent visit to Pixie's little piece of heaven, one thing led to another, and whilst catching up on her news, I got caught up in something else too....it was blog candy and eye candy and girl candy and pink candy - so much candy I just didn't know where to look, or what to choose! I was like a kid in a candy store, or cupcake heaven, and as you can see from my "touch ups" here and there, to a blogger, it was...how can I put this......sigh....it was the QUEEN FOR A DAY version of a visit to a beauty spa! LOL! So i hope you all like what I've "done with the place..."

And it just so happened that the best part of my little *excursion* was realising that the background I chose and fell in love with, is called ....*your highness*....it was at that moment that I died and went to girlfriend heaven.......!

For me, your highness just sums up in a word, what I think all women should strive to feel about themselves. I have been surrounded by remarkable women all my life, and maybe that's why I have so much respect for our gender. I really wish more of us allowed ourselves to think the best about ourselves, and believe that we deserve nothing less than that. We don't make time for ourselves, we don't choose things that serve us, we beat ourselves up everyday as opposed to building ourselves up and focusing on our strengths, and we wait for permission from others to feel entitled to be happy or live our best lives.

We are guilt ridden about everything, from our weight, to our looks, to our kids, and our husbands, and what we have done, and should be doing....oh and one of my pet hates - we are reluctant to celebrate our birthdays!!! I am horrified at how many women dread their birthdays or see it as "just another day". Uh-uh girls - get with the program! Birthday bliss is what it's all about!

A few years ago I decided that my birthday would be celebrated for the ENTIRE week! My wonderful DH reluctantly humoured me, but i could tell he was secretly thinking, "will the madness EVER end?". But the twist in the tale is this... - guess who announced this year that they have decided to spend an entire week celebrating their birthday??...yep none other than HIS HIGHNESS himself! So we now have a rule in our family that birthday's are BIG, and that a full week is required - bare minumum - to fully enjoy and celebrate the person's life, which is actually the GIFT.

My theory is that girlfriends and women the world over are simply incredible - if we let ourselves be...and that's why the men in our lives (as in husbands, brothers, fathers and sons) love us so much, and why God entrusted us with motherhood and MULTITASKING! We need to give ourselves a break, and try and find the HIGHNESS in ourselves, that we've all been blessed with. So cut yourself some slack.....even if you're just "Queen for a day".....

Okay this is the part that is not for sensitive viewers, and you know who you are!....sniff...

Below are some pics from one of the best birthdays I have ever had...a day filled with pink roses, pink fluff, butterflies and bubbles, candles and pretty tea cups, and friends that represented many of the "HIGHNESSES" in my life.

8 comments:

  1. I fully agree, birthdays are there to be celebrated. I always look forward to my birthday and it doesn't worry what age I am turning. I love your pictures - you all look like you had a really great time and that is what special friends are for - to celebrate and laugh with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Beryldene and well done for honouring yourself on your birthday (for a whole glorious week) and not feeling ashamed of it at all.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the Queen "Bee"

    Love this post ... our gender is indeed in need of Queenly status ... I'm going to celebrate for a week too ... the best plan I've heard all year ... tee hee ...

    Just love those pics of you and your GF's ... awesome times ...

    Love, "Queen" Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. sniff..... brought a tear to my eye :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i remember that like it was yesterday.....so much has changed since then - i love brithdays - i am a queen - i deserve fussing and spoiling and i serve but can easily sit back and receive it all .....love the new BLOG image - it is so YOU GF. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. eish gf, now the tears are REALLY flowing, I LOVE the photos and I LOVE you!

    Blog is looking stunning, it is soooooooooooooo you as are all the words in the post - gf you are a real champion of women and girl power and your words are an inspiration to all of us.

    miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Looks like an awesome celebration. I am glad to find someone else who believes in the 'my birthday week' concept. ;-)

    ReplyDelete