about me

My photo
Married to Nick for 13 years, with 2 children; Sabrina - 12 and Dominic - 11. I am a girlfriend through and through in that I love girly things and anything that celebrates the essence of being a woman. I love vintage, shabby chic, the country and try my best to do my bit for the environment. SO yes...we have 3 bins in our house and try our best to recycle! I believe that with everything in life, the closer we stick to nature, the better off we'll be. I would love to have a balance in life, but have learnt that balance is not always possible, so strive for significance instead, in the hopes that that will be just as meaningful, and the rest will hopefully follow.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Life's little lifelines

My little darlings, sharing some love.

I almost never took this second trip to Cape Town to see my Gran, because I was petrified of facing that return flight home alone, in an emotional state I knew I would be in. Fortunately on my last trip home, crazy crying person (that would be me) had my hubby and one of my uncles on the flight with me for comfort, but this time, I knew I would be coming home alone:-/-ish.

Sometimes God sends us lifelines in the simplest, and most unexpected ways. For me, last night was one of those times. To fly back on SAA for starters was like being back home for me:-). I was pleasantly distracted, pondering on how safe and good it felt to be back in "my old office":-) - the lovely A320. The cherry on the ice cream sundae was when I stepped on board and was welcomed by the purser, Richard, who just happened to be one of my favourite pursers, back in the day. Richard is tall and burly, with a permanent smile on his face that is genuine, and really reaches out to you with warmth and kindness, for when you need it most:-) I sat in my seat and silently said a prayer of thanks for that fact that in my vulnerable state, I was surrounded by these positive elements, which I had no doubt were 'heaven sent'.

Landing at the new King Shaka airport was AWESOME (read - yet another distraction)!! And then finally, my DH and little chickens (the non feathered kind), were beside themselves happy to see me and have me home, and I needed that too:-) So here I am, back in my happy place, with my peeps, albeit with a heart that has plasters stuck all over it to keep it in tact.
I fell in love with this pumkin on steroids - at the entrance to my Gran's retirement village - so wish I could say it was lying in my back yard...I had a serious case of "vegetable garden envy".

My Gran's home in the sleepy little town of Prince Alfred's Hamlet, outside Ceres. Sadly i never captured the magnificant lawns and gardens. So happy she has been able to enjoy this little piece of heaven and call it home for the last few years. So convenient that I was able to snap these pics with my new cellphone.

2 comments:

  1. Home is most certainly where our hearts lie - although there are always a few places outside of home that "call" to us from time to time too ... Glad you are home and that you made the flight ...

    BTW, as trivial as this may sound when you have bandaids all over your heart (big hugs for you) ... where did you get those hearts above your bed? I have been collecting for a while but do not have those ...

    Stay strong, GF ... well, cry when you need to and smile at memories of happier times ... Laugh out Loud when you're having fun ... LIFE .... sjoe!!!!

    Love, T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were brave and went gf, that time with Gran is so precious and can never be replaced, you need to trust that you will ALWAYS be given a way to cope however unexpected.

    Wish I could be with you through this time, it is killing me to hear your sadness and know that I am too far away to be of any real use :0(

    Watch for the butterfly xxx

    ReplyDelete